Friday, March 25, 2011

The One-Millionth Blog Post about South by Southwest

Hey everyone. I got this weird thing called a "day job", which changed my schedule around and gave me an excuse not to post in this blog as much as I promised I would. I hope somewhere out there, someone was actually upset by that, because it's been a while since I've had a stalker and I'm getting nostalgic.

I attended South by Southwest! Great! Awesome for me! I did so because I basically live in SXSW, I like music and it's more fun than complaining about it. Well, I did complain some, but tried to limit it to things that are particularly disheartening about the crowds that were here last week compared with previous South-by years. I still haven't been able to process everything, it was a week that felt like a month and I found myself socially tested in a number of unusual situations, such as what could have easily turned into an altercation between me on my bike on the Lance Armstrong Bikeway and a pedicab that blocked me (she had an elderly couple as her passengers, it was awkward). The huge free events have brought more people than ever to this city, and for the first time I don't think we are able to properly handle it (by the way, if anyone from SXSW reads this, leave small free events at regular venues and house shows alone). It was a great week though, seriously. The best of my life? Almost.

Highlights:

-- Being one of 50 people to see Aziz Ansari, Michael Ian Black and Eugene Mirman, three of my favorite comedians, at the Comedy Death Ray show at the IFC Crossroads House* (not sure how I pulled that off)

-- Seeing one of my all time favorite bands, Paint it Black, for the first time.

-- Attending the premiere of Conan O'Brien Can't Stop (which was hilarious, Conan was there!)

-- Not getting trampled at the Strokes show.

-- Not getting punched by Ben Weasel.

-- Not getting tased or maced at Beauty Bar.

-- Getting tipped off about the Mars Volta secret show at Emo's. So glad I could make that.

-- Trash Talk, Off and Bad Brains at Emo's (Main Stage). Wow. Bad Brains played mostly faster hardcore stuff!

-- Supporting my friends in Zlam Dunk and Tactics whenever possible.

-- Getting in at the last minute to see Eugene Mirman and several other hilarious comedians at Esther's Follies with one of my best friends.

-- Hanging out with my best friends, riding my bike finally and amazing weather.

-- Occasionally feeling smug about being a local.**

Things that I hope are better next year:

-- Almost anything to do with infrastructure.

-- Almost anything to do with the tone and mood of the crowd. I miss the vibe from around 2006-2007.

-- Please don't trash my city.

-- Please don't make snide comments about my city if you've moved here and are disappointed because you did so after only visiting here during SXSW.

-- Please don't attempt to drive Downtown between Cesar Chavez and 10th Street unless you absolutely have to.

I bought a local wristband because I was unsure if I could get the time off during the day to attend free shows as usual, but it ended up saving me a lot of headaches for shows I wanted to see at night. It's not nearly as expensive as an ACL Pass. Speaking of, despite all of the new drawbacks to SXSW this year, it's still an infinitely better time to be a local than during ACL.*** Anyone can find something to do that appeals to then, and spending a lot of money is certainly not a requirement. If you're bitter about SXSW, and don't want to deal with the crowds, just hang out in South Austin and enjoy yourself anyway.

Thanks,

- Jordan

*If you're going to attend a free promotional place for the week, I highly recommend getting in at IFC. Also, free pretzels.

**This is also a negative, because I don't like being smug if I can help it, and usually feel bad after I catch myself doing so. I don't like when people are smug so I shouldn't be so myself, ever. Sometimes though I don't realize it when I am coming off as such.

***Stay tuned for my usual disgruntled post about the Austin City Limits Music Festival coming in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment